Friday, December 26, 2008

McDonald's--I'm so sorry.....

As a math teacher I'm always pushing my students to see that math is a very useful tool that may someday be the difference between having a job or being unemployed...or at least I always thought that until I had a conversation with one of my students that made me almost reconsider.

"....but you will need math in your job." I stated firmly to a rather disagreeable student.

"I don't need math. I'm going to work at McDonald's after I graduate."

"You still need math to know how to count change, even at McDonald's."

"I don't need math. Ya see, theys got 'dem pi'chures of da foods on 'da bah'ttons. 'Da machine telleds the people how much money they got to pay. I's just swipe 'deir card. I don't need no math for 'da."

Yes, I thought to myself, you probably won't need math--but some English classes couldn't hurt!!

2 comments:

Chat Blanc said...

see, this is exactly why I need to finish my MBA program, I too ass-pire to work at da MacD's. :)

Gracieyoyogirl said...

you can only work at McD's is your English deteriorates much more and your math skills regress to not being able to identify the value of a quarter....I wish I were joking....